GENERAL RULES AND ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES
2016-17 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition
PRINT/SAVE this page for help when entering the competition.
Below are the general rules and eligibility guidelines. These also are on the entry website, www.betterbnc.com, to check as you prepare entries. After signing in and choosing this contest, click on Instructions in the drop-down menu under the Contest Info heading.
RULES & ELIGIBILITY
Who’s eligible: The competition is open to all North American journalists, including ones working overseas. Work by foreign journalists is not eligible unless they are living/working some of the year in North America. Multiple bylines are acceptable; winners share the prize money.
What’s eligible: Work must have been published/broadcast in English between April 1, 2016, and March 31, 2017, except as noted in specific categories. Category 102 Newspaper Travel Coverage, Category 103 Magazines and Category 120 Travel Journalism Websites are for North American publishers. Work by journalists may be in North American or foreign publications and is not restricted to travel publications. Advertorials, work produced under contract for commercial promotion and newsletter issues/articles are not eligible. Series are not eligible unless noted specifically in a category.
The rules: You may make as many submissions as desired. However, a single work cannot be submitted in more than two categories, though you also may include it as part of a multiple-submission category, such as the Grand Award. When a specific work is going in more than one category, it must be submitted for each category. An entry can win only one award, although it also may be part of a winning package, such as the Grand Award. Further rules are noted within categories.
The fees: These are $20 or $50, with most individual work being $20 an entry and categories such as Grand Award and books being $50. Fees are noted in the Categories list and with each category in the summary of your entries on your contest entry form. You must pay to complete your entries. When finished making all your entries, use the Calculate Fee button on your Managing Entries page to see the total amount due. See Detailed Instructions on this website for Payment information.
- Entries must be filed electronically, except as follows: Publications entering Category 102 Newspaper Travel Coverage may submit electronically and/or mail in entries. Publications entering Category 103a and 103b Travel Magazines and Travel Coverage in Other Magazines should mail the required issues. Category 107 Special Packages/Projects can be a combination of electronic and mail-in elements; for instance, an entire themed magazine issue or newspaper travel section should be mailed. Categories 118 and 119 Book entries must be mailed. For broadcast, provide links to the work if possible, but a CD for Category 121 Audio and a DVD for Category 122 Video may be mailed.
- Date of publication must be provided. Entries should show the name and date of publication, headline and byline(s) as possible. Work must have been published/broadcast in English between April 1, 2016, and March 31, 2017, except as noted in specific categories.
- Articles: An entry normally is a single submission, unless otherwise specified in category listing. Usually there should be only one article, but short consumer information boxes and short sidebars with it may be included. An article that tells the story in several short takes may be entered. However, entries with multiple, longer stories and series must go into the Special Packages/Projects category.
- Grand Award: Submit a portfolio of between 5 and 9 entries in at least 4 different subject categories. If you want 1 or more of the submissions in both Grand Award and a specific category, you must also submit these separately in the applicable subject category.
- Newspaper Travel Coverage: There’s no longer a division by circulation. Instead of submitting sections, publications now enter a portfolio of their best travel coverage within the eligible period. See further details/requirements in Category 102 in the Categories document and in Detailed Instructions for entering, both on this website. Also, when doing the Entry Form at the contest website, see details with the Category List. This category is for media, not individual writers.
- Online/Internet entries: The Travel Journalism Websites category is for the overall website, not individual work. Individual online work may be entered in categories 101, 104-117, 121-122 and others as noted or applicable.
- Photos illustrating travel: Submit a copy of the article/piece showing the photos and text and/or a link to the work or online gallery.
- Audio and video entries: Enter audio and video work in these categories only, though they may be part of the Grand Award entry and included among submissions for Category 102 Newspaper Travel Coverage, Category 103 Magazines and Category 107 Special Packages/Projects. Provide URL links to work if possible. See Instructions for more information.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 2017 CONTEST INFORMATION