Congratulations 2016 Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Award winners! We have prepared a press release with a list of all the competition winners, which is available online at www.satwf.com.
Following is a shortened version you may customize to highlight your individual award(s). Please refer to the full press release for more information. Also, if you want to create your own release, key points to include are featured below. Again, congratulations.
_____________________ is a winner in the 2015-2016 Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition, taking the <gold, silver or bronze> in the __________ category for <your winning work> in the <name of publication.> The annual competition is sponsored by the Society of American Travel Writers Foundation.
Winners of the awards, the most prestigious in the field of travel journalism, were announced Oct. 25 at the SATW convention, held in Wenzhou, China, this year.
The competition drew 1,307 entries and was judged by members of the faculty at the University of Missouri School of Journalism. This year, the SATW Foundation presented 80 awards in 24 categories and nearly $20,000 in prize money to journalists. The awards are named for Lowell Thomas, acclaimed broadcast journalist, prolific author and world explorer during five decades in journalism.
In honoring <your name’s> work, the judges said: <pick up quote from the judges’ comments, which are available online>.
Among other winners, Aaron Teasdale, a freelance writer-photographer from Missoula, MT, earned the title of Lowell Thomas Travel Journalist of the Year for a portfolio of his work in the past year. National Geographic Traveler earned eight awards, and The New York Times took seven. The Los Angeles Times was the gold winner for best newspaper travel coverage.
The Foundation distributes nearly $20,000 annually in prize money to individual winners. Contributions by Gold Supporter Carnival Corp. and other donors help sustain the competition and make prizes possible to recognize outstanding work in travel journalism.
For more information about the awards, including a full list of winners and judges’ comments, and SATW, visit www.satwf.com and www.satw.org.
When writing your own release, key points to include are:
- The 2015-2016 Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition is sponsored by the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) Foundation. Please be sure to use the word “Foundation.”
- Awards were announced at the SATW annual convention, held this year in Wenzhou, China.
- This is the 32nd annual Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition and drew 1,307 entries. The competition is open to all North American journalists.
- Judges are faculty at the University of Missouri School of Journalism, with Prof. John Fennell, Prof. Jennifer Rowe and administrative assistant Kim Townlain coordinating.
- The SATW Foundation annually distributes nearly $20,000 in prize money to individual winners.
- In 2016, there are 80 awards in 24 categories honoring outstanding print, online, and multimedia work, travel photography, and audio and video broadcasts.
- Contributions by Gold Supporter Carnival Corp. and other donors help sustain the competition and make prizes possible to recognize outstanding work in travel journalism.
- The awards are named for Lowell Thomas, acclaimed broadcast journalist, prolific author and world explorer during five decades in journalism.
Media contact: Mary Lu Abbott, MaryLuA@satwf.com