2017-18 SATW Foundation
Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition
Welcome to the premier competition recognizing and rewarding excellence in the field of travel journalism that serves the public with unbiased information and enhances understanding of the destination or experience.
The 2017-18 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition is the 34th annual contest, offering 24 categories for print, online and multimedia work, travel photography, audio and video broadcast, and blogs. Note: We welcome entries of work produced for reading/viewing on electronic devices.
The contest is handled electronically, using the BetterBNC Media Awards Platform.
Here is a quick look at this year’s contest, followed by links to details about entering and more information.
- Entry deadline: April 1, 2018.
- Eligibility: Entrants must be North American journalists. Foreign journalists living/working outside North America are not eligible.
- Covered period: Work must have been published/produced between April 1, 2017, and March 31, 2018, except as noted in specific categories.
- Social media handles: If you have entered before, after you sign-in, click on My Account (under Open Call for individuals and Contestant for media), and update the information fields, adding social media handles. This allows us to let you know if you are a winner and to help promote your award.
- Mailing alert: Electronic submissions are required for most categories, but some entries, such as books and magazine issues, must be mailed. Plan ahead. Overnight shipments really don’t get to our address the next day, despite what a shipper may promise. Be sure to mail/ship to the 2018 address given with this year’s materials.
- Judges for 2018 will be faculty at the Missouri School of Journalism with Prof. John Fennell, Meredith Chair in Service Journalism, Prof. Jennifer Rowe and administrative assistant Kim Townlain coordinating.
First step: CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS for entering. You must do the steps outlined to be able to access the entry materials.
CLICK HERE for Rules & Eligibility details: Check these before you start. Once you have signed up to enter the contest, you will find these guidelines also under Contest Info/Instructions at the contest website.
CLICK HERE for a full list of categories and fees.
CLICK HERE for more information on audio and video entries.
Click here to go to the BetterBNC website and the 2017-18 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about entering the contest.
For questions and more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winners of the 2017-18 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition will be announced the last week of September 2018 at the SATW Convention on the island of Barbados and via email and on the Foundation website, www.satwf.com.
The SATW Foundation awards nearly $20,000 annually in prize money to individual winners. The Grand Award earns the gold winner $1,500, the silver winner $750 and the bronze place $500. In individual categories, first-place gold winners each receive $500, with $250 going to silver and $150 to bronze winners. The categories for Best Newspaper Travel Coverage, Best Magazines and Best Travel Journalism Websites are not given monetary awards.
The sustainability of the annual SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition is made possible by a generous contribution from Gold Supporter CARNIVAL CORP., whose 10 brands include Carnival Cruise Line, Princess and Holland America. Its contribution helps make the prizes possible and supports the future of quality travel media. The SATW Foundation thanks CARNIVAL CORP., the 30 Partners for 30 Years and other contributors for their support in recognizing and rewarding excellence in travel journalism.