|2019 - 2020 SATW Foundation
Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition
Welcome to the premier competition recognizing and rewarding excellence in the field of travel journalism that serves the public with unbiased information and enhances understanding of the destination or experience.
This is the 36th annual contest, offering 26 categories for print, online and multimedia work, travel photography, audio, video and blogs. Note: We welcome entries of work produced for reading/viewing on electronic devices.
The contest is handled electronically, using the BetterBNC Media Awards Platform.
Here is a quick look at this year’s contest, followed by links to details about entering and more information.
- Entry deadline: April 10, 2020. (This has been extended to April 10th)
- Eligibility: Entrants must be North American journalists. Foreign journalists living/working outside North America are not eligible.
- Covered period: Work must have been published/produced between April 1, 2019, and March 31, 2020, except as noted in Book categories.
- What’s new: Category 121 Travel Audio is now split into 2 subcategories. Category 121a is for commercial and public radio work, and 121b is for podcasts and audio guides. Category 112 Environmental Tourism has been expanded to include Sustainable Tourism coverage, also.
- Social media handles: In your account information, please fill in the social media fields. This allows us to let you know if you are a winner and to help promote your award.
- Mailing alert: Electronic submissions are required for most categories, but some entries must be mailed, such as books and usually magazine issues. Plan ahead. Overnight shipments rarely get to our address the next day, despite what a shipper may promise. Be sure to use the 2020 address given with this year’s materials.
- Judges will be faculty at the Missouri School of Journalism with Emeritus Prof. John Fennell, Prof. Jennifer Rowe and administrative assistant Kim Townlain coordinating.
First step: CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS for entering. You must do the steps outlined to be able to access the entry materials.
CLICK HERE for Rules & Eligibility details: Check these before you start. Once you have signed up to enter the contest, you will find these guidelines also under Contest Info/Instructions at the contest website.
CLICK HERE for a full list of categories and fees.
CLICK HERE for more information on audio and video entries.
CLICK HERE to go to the BetterBNC website and the 2019-20 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition.
CLICK HERE for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about entering the contest.
For questions and more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winners of the 2019-20 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition will be announced in October at the SATW Convention in Milwaukee and via email and on the Foundation website, www.satwf.com.
This year, the SATW Foundation will award more than $21,000 in prize money to individual winners. The Grand Award earns the gold winner $1,500, the silver winner $750 and the bronze place $500. In individual categories, first-place gold winners each receive $500, with $250 going to silver and $150 to bronze winners. The categories for Best Newspaper Travel Coverage, Best Magazines and Best Travel Journalism Websites are not given monetary awards.
The sustainability of the annual SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition is made possible by a generous contribution from Gold Supporter CARNIVAL CORP., the world's largest cruise company with a portfolio of brands in North America, Europe, Australia and Asia, including Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line and Princess Cruises. Its contribution helps make the prizes possible and supports the future of quality travel media. The SATW Foundation thanks CARNIVAL CORP., the 30 Partners for 30 Years and other contributors for their support in recognizing and rewarding excellence in travel journalism.