Congratulations 2020 Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Award winners!
We have prepared a press release and a list of all the competition winners, accessible on this website. The following is a shortened version of the release that you may customize to highlight your individual award(s). Please refer to the full press release for more information. Also, if you want to create your own release, key facts to include are featured below.
Note: To see the judges’ comments on your winning work, go to the “Winners Gallery,” under the contest heading on the left-side navigation panel. The gallery shows the list of categories, which you can click to see the results, including the comments on your work.
_____________________ is a winner in the 2019-20 Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition, taking the <gold, silver, bronze or honorable mention> place in the __________ category for <your winning work> in <on> <name of media.> The annual competition is sponsored by the Society of American Travel Writers Foundation.
Winners of the awards, the most prestigious in the field of travel journalism, were announced October 16, 2020, at the annual conference of SATW, the premier professional organization of travel journalists and communicators. This year’s gathering was a virtual event.
The competition drew 1,299 entries and was judged by faculty at the University of Missouri School of Journalism. This year, the SATW Foundation presented 99 awards in 26 categories and more than $21,000 in prize money to journalists. The awards are named for Lowell Thomas, acclaimed broadcast journalist, prolific author and world explorer during five decades in journalism.
In honoring <your name’s> work, the judges said: <pick up quote from the judges’ comments, which are available in the applicable category in the Winners Gallery>.
Among other winners, freelance writer Kevin West of Monterey, Mass., earned the title of Lowell Thomas Travel Journalist of the Year for a portfolio of work in the past year. Gold winners included National Geographic Traveler in Travel Magazines, The New York Times in Newspaper Travel Coverage and Travel + Leisure in Travel Journalism Websites. Outside magazine took seven awards.
Contributions by Gold Supporter Carnival Corp. and other donors help sustain the competition and make the prizes possible.
For more information about the awards, including a full list of winners and judges’ comments, and SATW, visit www.satwf.com and www.satw.org.
When writing your own release, key points to include are:
- The 2019-20 Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition is sponsored by the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) Foundation. Please be sure to use the word “Foundation.”
- Awards were announced Oct. 16 at the annual conference of SATW, the premier professional organization of travel journalists and communicators. This year, it was a virtual convention.
- This is the 36th Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition and drew 1,299 entries. The competition is open to all North American journalists.
- Judges are faculty at the University of Missouri School of Journalism, with Emeritus Prof. John Fennell, Prof. Jennifer Rowe and administrative assistant Kim Townlain coordinating.
- The SATW Foundation is distributing more than $21,000 in prize money to individual winners this year.
- In 2020, there are 99 awards in 26 categories honoring outstanding print, online and multimedia work, travel photography, and audio and video.
- Contributions by Gold Supporter Carnival Corp. and other donors help sustain the competition and make the prizes possible.
- The awards are named for Lowell Thomas, acclaimed broadcast journalist, prolific author and world explorer during five decades in journalism.
Media contact: Mary Lu Abbott, MaryLuA@satwf.com
BACK TO INFORMATION FOR WINNERS PAGE: