|GENERAL RULES AND ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES
2019 - 2020 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition
PRINT/SAVE this page for help when entering the competition.
When doing your entries, you also can see these on the entry website, www.betterbnc.com: Click on Instructions in the drop-down menu under the Contest Info heading.
RULES & ELIGIBILITY
Who’s eligible: The competition is open to all North American journalists, including ones working overseas. Work by foreign journalists is not eligible unless they are living/working some of the year in North America.
What’s eligible: Work must have been published/posted/broadcast in English between April 1, 2019, and March 31, 2020, except in book categories. Category 102 Newspaper Travel Coverage, Categories 103a and 103b Magazines and Category 120 Travel Journalism Websites are for North American publishers. Work by journalists may be in North American or foreign media. Advertorials, work produced under contract for commercial promotion and newsletter issues/articles are not eligible. Series are not eligible unless noted specifically in a category.
The rules: Enter as many submissions as desired. However, a specific work can be submitted in only two categories as applicable; it also can be part of a multiple-submission category, such as the Grand Award. If a work is going in two categories, enter and pay in each.
The fees: These are $20 or $50. Most individual work is $20 an entry; categories such as Grand Award and books are $50 per entry. Fees are noted in the Categories list and with each category in the summary of your entries on your contest entry form. You must pay to complete your entries and enter the contest.
- Entries must be filed electronically, except as follows: Publications entering Category 102 Newspaper Travel Coverage may submit electronically and/or mail in entries. Publications entering Category 103a Travel Magazines and 103b Travel Coverage in Other Magazines should mail the required issues, though links to issues are allowed. Category 107 Special Packages/Projects can be a combination of electronic and mail-in elements. Categories 118 and 119 Book entries must be mailed. For broadcast, provide URL link to the work at a hosting website.
- Date of publication/post must be provided. Entries should show the name and date of publication/post, headline/title and byline(s) as possible.
- Articles/Posts: An entry normally is a single submission, unless otherwise specified in category listing. Usually there should be only one article/post, but short consumer information boxes and sidebars with it may be included. An article/post that tells the story in several short takes may be entered. However, entries with multiple, longer stories/posts and series must go into the Special Packages/Projects category. There is a category for Multimedia Single Work for storytelling that includes text, images, audio and video but is not part of a larger package.
- Grand Award: This is for a portfolio of between 5 and 9 entries. See details with the category online. If you want a submission in both Grand Award and a specific category, you must also submit it separately in the individual category.
- Newspaper Travel Coverage: This is for publications, not individuals. Publications enter a portfolio of their best travel coverage within the eligible period. See further details with the category online and in Detailed Instructions for Entering, on this website.
- Travel Journalism Websites: This category is for the overall website, not individual work. Individual online work may be entered in categories 101, 104-117, 121-124 and others as noted or applicable.
- Photos illustrating travel: Submit a copy of the article/post showing the photos and text and/or a link to the work or online gallery.
- Audio/video entries: Enter audio and video work in their categories only, though they may be part of the Grand Award entry and included among submissions for Category 102 Newspaper Travel Coverage, Categories 103a and 103b Magazines, Category 107 Special Packages/Projects and Category 124 Multimedia Single Work. Provide URL link to work at a hosting website. See Instructions for more information. Note that Travel Audio now has 2 subcategories, one for radio work and one for podcasts and audio guides.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 2020 CONTEST INFORMATION