2020-2021 SATW Foundation
Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition
Welcome to the premier competition recognizing and rewarding excellence in the field of travel journalism that serves the public with unbiased information and enhances understanding of the destination or experience.
This is the 37th annual contest, offering 27 categories for print, online and multimedia work, travel photography, audio, video and blogs. The contest is handled electronically, using the BetterBNC Media Awards Platform.
Here is a quick look at this year’s contest, followed by links to details about entering and more information.
- Entry deadline: April 2, 2021.
- Eligibility: The competition is open to all journalists; there are no membership requirements to enter. New this year: Foreign journalists are allowed to enter their work published in North American media and work on their own websites. All entries must be in English. Note that our audience is the North American traveler.
- Covered period: Work must have been published/produced in English between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, except as noted in book categories.
- What’s new: We are excited to announce a new award for journalists: Category 102 Robert Haru Fisher Award for Travel Health/Safety Coverage. And we’re offering a money-saving special this year: Make 3 entries and the 4th is free in $20 categories (applies to first 4 only).
- Social media handles: In your account information, please fill in the social media fields.
- Mailing alert: Electronic submissions are required for most categories, but some entries must be mailed, such as books and magazine issues. Plan ahead. Overnight shipments rarely get to our address the next day, despite what a shipper may promise. Be sure to update any stored shipping address with the one given in our new entry materials.
- Judges will be faculty at the University of Missouri School of Journalism with Emeritus Prof. John Fennell, Prof. Jennifer Rowe and administrative assistant Kim Townlain coordinating.
First step: CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS for entering. You must do the steps outlined to be able to access the entry materials.
CLICK HERE for Rules & Eligibility details: Check these before you start. Once you have signed up to enter the contest, you will find these guidelines also under Contest Info/Instructions at the contest website.
CLICK HERE for a full list of Categories and Fees.
CLICK HERE for more information on Audio and Video entries.
CLICK HERE to go to the BetterBNC website and the 2020-21 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition.
CLICK HERE for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about entering the contest.
For questions and more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winners of the 2020-21 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition will be announced in October at the SATW Convention in Milwaukee and via email and on the Foundation website, www.satwf.com.
This year, the SATW Foundation will award more than $22,000 in prize money to individual winners. The Grand Award earns the gold winner $1,500, the silver winner $750 and the bronze place $500. In individual categories, first-place gold winners each receive $500, with $250 going to silver and $150 to bronze winners. The categories for Best Newspaper Travel Coverage, Best Magazines and Best Travel Journalism Websites are not given monetary awards.
The sustainability of the annual SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition is made possible by a generous contribution from Gold Supporter CARNIVAL CORP., the world's largest cruise company with a portfolio of brands in North America, Europe, Australia and Asia, including Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line and Princess Cruises. Its contribution helps make the prizes possible and supports the future of quality travel media. The SATW Foundation thanks all donors, including the 30 Partners for 30 Years and other contributors for their support in recognizing and rewarding excellence in travel journalism.