GENERAL RULES AND ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES
2020-21 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition
PRINT/SAVE this page for help when entering the competition.
When doing your entries, you also can see these guidelines on the entry website, www.betterbnc.com: Click on Instructions in the drop-down menu under the Contest Info heading.
ENTRY DEADLINE: April 2, 2021.
RULES & ELIGIBILITY
Who’s eligible: The competition is open to all journalists. New this year: Foreign journalists are allowed to enter their work published in North American media and work on their own websites. All work must be in English. Our audience is the North American traveler.
What’s eligible: Work must have been published/posted/broadcast in English between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, except in book categories as noted. Category 103 Newspaper Travel Coverage, Categories 104a and 104b Magazines and Category 121 Travel Journalism Websites are for North American publishers. Advertorials, work produced under contract for commercial promotion and newsletter issues/articles are not eligible. Series are not eligible unless noted specifically in a category.
The rules: Enter as many submissions as desired. However, a specific work can be submitted in only two categories as applicable; it also can be part of a multiple-submission category, such as the Grand Award. If a work is going in two categories, enter and pay in each.
The fees: These are $20 or $50. Most individual work is $20 an entry; categories such as Grand Award and books are $50 per entry. Fees are noted in the Categories list and with each category in the summary of your entries on your contest entry form. You must pay to complete your entries. Note: This year we are offering a special: Make 3 entries, get the 4th entry free in $20 categories. This applies to the first 4 only, and the free one will show automatically on your Calculate Entry Fees page.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 2021 CONTEST INFORMATION
- Entries must be filed electronically, except as follows: Publications entering Category 103 Newspaper Travel Coverage may submit electronically and/or mail in entries. Publications entering Category 104a Travel Magazines and 104b Travel Coverage in Other Magazines must mail hard copies of the required issues. (Note to magazine entrants: Please do not send PDFs or e-issues. Judges say those are problematic to handle and for fairness, it’s better if all entries are same format.) Category 108 Special Packages/Series can be a combination of electronic and mail-in elements. Categories 119 and 120 Book entries must be mailed. For broadcast, provide URL link to the work at a hosting website.
- Date of publication/post must be provided. Entries should show the name and date of publication/post, headline/title and byline(s) as possible.
- Articles/Posts: An entry normally is a single submission, unless otherwise specified in category listing. Usually there should be only one article/post, but short consumer information boxes and sidebars with it may be included. An article/post that tells the story in several short takes may be entered. However, entries with multiple, longer stories/posts and series must go into the Special Packages/Series category. There is a category for Multimedia Single Work for storytelling that includes text, images, audio and video but is not part of a larger package.
- Series: These should be entered in Category 108 Special Packages/Series. When entering the series, do not enter a single component of it in another category. If you prefer not to enter the work in the series category, then you may enter a single component in an applicable category.
- Grand Award: This is for a portfolio of between 5 and 9 entries. See details with the category online. If you want a submission in both Grand Award and a specific category, you must also submit it separately in the individual category.
- Newspaper Travel Coverage: This is for publications, not individuals. Publications enter a portfolio of their best travel coverage within the eligible period. See further details with the category online and in Detailed Instructions for Entering, on this website.
- Travel Journalism Websites: This category is for the overall website, not individual work. Individual online work may be entered in categories 101, 102, 105-118, 122-125 and others as noted or applicable.
- Photos illustrating travel: Submit a copy of the article/post showing the photos and text and/or a link to the work or online gallery.
- Audio/video entries: Enter audio and video work in their categories only, though they may be part of the Grand Award entry and included among submissions for Category 103 Newspaper Travel Coverage, Categories 104a and 104b Magazines, Category 108 Special Packages/Series and Category 125 Multimedia Single Work. Provide URL link to work at a hosting website. See Instructions for more information. Note that Travel Audio now has 2 subcategories, one for radio work and one for podcasts and audio guides.